Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Homemade Frozen Pancakes and Waffles


Realization: cold cereal does not cut it on cold mornings

As my dog and I were wandering around on our usual hike, I realized I was already wearing a hat, scarf, and my winter coat. The Autumn weather has seemed to turn chilly overnight- and like every year it has snuck up on me.
Now that the weather is getting colder in the mornings, I am craving warm breakfast food to begin my day. However, like most of us who are busy rushing off to work in the morning- there is no time to cook that well-balanced and delicious breakfast.
So out of the woods and into my kitchen I headed, after I borrowed my friend's waffle iron for the weekend (I made an even trade with my knife sharpener for the iron).

I spent hours in the kitchen- baking up a storm- freezing waffles and pancakes to help ease the morning hustle and bustle.  I will share with you the important lessons I learned in a quick how-to guide for freezing and reheating waffles and pancakes.

How to Freeze Homemade Pancakes and Waffles

Cook pancakes or waffles using your usual recipe (or click here for my no-fail waffle or pancake recipes) 

Line a baking sheet with a sheet of parchment paper. After cooling the pancakes or waffles, place in a single layer on the parchment without touching each other. If food is touching before frozen, it will freeze together, making it difficult to separate later. To freeze more than one layer of pancakes or waffles, use another sheet of parchment paper in between each layer to create a barrier. Place the baking sheet in the freezer and freeze for at least 6 hours. Once everything is completely frozen, you can stack them together in a freezer bag or freezer-safe container. I prefer freezer bags because they take up a lot less space in the freezer. Before storing, write the date on the bag. Pancakes and waffles will last for 3 months in the freezer.


How to Reheat Frozen Pancakes and Waffles


Pancakes or waffles can be reheated in an oven or toaster oven at 350 degrees. You can place pancakes on foil, a baking sheet, or just on the oven rack. Bake for about 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Time Savers for the morning rush:

Pancakes:
I do not have a microwave in my kitchen, but for the many that do: heat on high for 1 1/2- 2 minutes.

Waffles:
Place waffle in toaster- but keep a careful eye so it does not burn.

No comments:

Post a Comment